Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Smoking a Fatty


A sausage fatty, that is.  Turns out that is the name playfuly given to those 2lb tubes of Jimmy Dean-like sausage.  I came across the reference in a smoking times and temps table.  I've never been a big fan of breakfast sausage, until now.  I had to try it.  I fired up my little hibachi, and got to smoking.  For my first attempt, I added nothing.  No salt, no anything; I just cut it out of the tube and plopped it on the grate.
The times and temps table suggested smoking it to 165 degrees.  A little high for my taste, but I'll follow the rules for the first one.

After a bit of resting, it peaked at about 165.  After slicing it, it was evident that this particular fatty was too lean to tolerate that temperature. Ironic.  I will admit that the flavor was transformed into something pretty awesome.
I sliced it up and ate it with cheese grits and a five minute egg.  Yeah, it was good.
Hmmm....how to make this even more special?  We shall see.......

1 comment: